Looking for a blue similar to

Hi,

I’m looking for an ink that is similar to the blue dominant on Marc Chagall’s “Blue” Lovers painting:

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Peter

1 Like

Maybe the infamous Noodler’s Baystate Blue?

As long as you are aware that Baystate blue possibly eats through concrete :wink:

I’m not sure, but I heard someone speculate that it may be an acrylic ink? Acrylic and shellac inks are not best buddies with fountain pens.

Most self-respecting pens start running like Pac-Man from ghosts when you reach for the Baystate blue.

Private Reserve make a very saturated royal blue like that. Can’t remember the name. Also not well behaved inks, but nothing like Baystate.

1 Like

I have some inks that are somewhat, but not super similar. The problem is that for me that blue looks flat like chalk, so I have no idea what would match it :slight_smile:
Maybe J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir, or Papier Plume Forget Me Not Blue is the closest.

1 Like

To me the Capri blue looks close. Shocking blue is definitely too dark.

1 Like

Woww! Thanks @danielb!

For me maybe Papier Plume Forget Me Not Blue seems to be the closest. This is really hard to tell, there are so many variables like what the original colour was, how was it digitised and on the other end paper+ink combo vs your camera and also we all have different monitors and different light conditions and of course each of us perceive the colours a bit differently…

I agree the Forget Me Not Blue is also close. I thought that before, but there’s quite a difference in brightness. We don’t know the lighting conditions for the original painting either.

Next step is to get samples of the closest ones and compare them to the actual painting/print.

1 Like

Maybe Diamine Asa Blue?

I think that leans more towards turquoise…

Peter I am late replying but I am new to the forum and did want to say that my Herbin Eclat de Saphir is lighter than the example that Daniel put on. But didn’t Daniel do a wonderful job with his examples. I like Eclat a lot but am not an artist but this ink is beautiful for writing in a pen because I like a brighter blue and if one can get over the small bottle problem it is a lovely ink. May I say I would not use a Noodlers ink although some love them. Hopefully your samples will guide you well. Barbara in New Zealand.

1 Like

Thank you @BarbaraNZ :slight_smile: I was also considering Visconti’s Blue which is a very saturated blue as well.

Peter I am not sure this is going to work. But I am trying to share a video of Mike of Inkdependence on You Tube of Visconti Blue.

He seems to think it is a wonderful ink and I have not seen it or have it.So if you get it please let us know how you feel. By the way Mike Matteson is a lovely person and does a live channel on US Friday and my Saturday here in New Zealand. He is a Philosophy Professor in North Carolina in the US and loves ink and pens and does have his ink supply on the FPC ink list. I forgot to ask you if you want to write with this blue ink or draw with it. I liked your doodle you did on the “what am I using or doing” topic. Thanks for your reply to mine.

1 Like

Thank you Barbara :slight_smile: The video is helpful it does come through that this is a vivid blue. Technically it’s very challenging to capture the true shades of colours but it does come through that this is a vivid blue. The ink is a present to someone who will use it for writing (AFAIK).