What are you using today?

I like the sand model. I got a Robert Oster-Burned Orange and it looks very similar as your Faber Castell burned orange. Good combination with the Leonardo.

Today I’m writing with a Laban 325 Broad nib inked with Colorverse-Opus 88-Horizon (vial sample) and comparing it with the Pilot Vanishing Decimo Broad inked with Pelikan Edelstein-Topaz Blue (sample).
As you can tell, I’m new in this and I’m fascinated with papers and ink’s behaviors. Same inks keep or loose properties on different papers, as you may know way more than me.
May I ask which notebook/ paper you use for your Leonardo Sand and Lamy?

3 Likes

I’m no expert Monica either :slight_smile: What I like in Faber-Castell Burned Orange is that it behaves surprisingly well and it’s easy to clean the pen. The notebook I used is Endless Recorder and it has 68 gsm Tomoe River paper which is absolutely fantastic. People say that shading or sheening inks are most spectacular on Tomoe River because it does not absorb the ink that much. It mostly stays on the surface and dries (somewhat slowly) over time. The ink must flow generously and “pool” on the paper to bring out sheening properties.

Thanks for the photos, the comparison is very educative! Which blue is your favourite? Your Laban looks spectacular. What’s your opinion about its nib? What’s the writing experience like?

1 Like

I like inks that are easy to clean and I like the Faber Castell burned orange you use. I apologize my photos are dark, I’ll make sure next time to get more light. You are not going to believe how in time you answered a dilema I have had lately about Endless Recorder Notebooks. I couldn’t understand in the Youtube videos from “The Inked Well” (Jan2019) why from all the papers, endless was the best overall. You just answered me hahaa You are Awesome!! This is the Brand I need!!! I like white papers, Not super thin (62gsm is ok), better A5 size and at least 100 pages. I found in amazon “Black n’ Red” notebooks and I got one A5 harcover white smooth paper I guess 100gsm; inks I tested behaved good (not like tomoe river of course) and another A5 softcover but this one had less brighter white, smooth paper maybe 90gsm and inks behaved a bit better. Cheaper brand.
Another thing that you surprised me with were your questions…How can you read my mind? Hahaa, I have been looking for a light blue. Not turquoise, easy-med cleaning, shading, not dry…and so far I bought many vial samples and I’m between Waterman Inspired Blue, Sailor Sauten, Pelikan Topaz Blue, Akkerm-Ceruwm Blau, Colorverse-Horizon…Uff…
To answer your second question, my fp Laban 325 Ocean Blue with Broad steel nib is goldened color and writes good (not as smooth as a 14k and up) and not feedback. So far, no skipping, no starting issues, Converter works BUT I got before this one a Laban Celebration Oyster Yellow again with a Broad steel nib but this one is silvered color and the logo on it is the oldest from the brand. No issues writing too but feels Smoother to me AND has a perfect Fine Reverse Writing. I even told this to Laban Company and they never answered me. Like they only texted: “Glad you like them…” To me, having a Broad nib and turn it upside down and have a Fine is just an Excited Feeling hahaaa. Well, is because my handwriting isn’t good and thick lines show the inks beauty but thin lines are readable. One day I’ll buy those nibs that have those characteristics. Ex: Reyes and WinfieldMonty (hope I wrote them correctly). Sorry for my looong answer! Have a great day!!

Pen: TWSBI Eco
Ink: Noodler’s Navajo Turquoise
Notebook: CVS Caliber Composition Book (Surprisinging, very good paper for fountain pens!)

3 Likes

Hi! Very fresh nice combination​:gem: The CVS caliber notebooks are indeed a good option for fountain pens and way less expensive. The first time I heard of them was in YouTube in Chris Saenz videos; she mentioned there are some that look the same but aren’t fp friendly, just to be aware when I go to CVS to buy more. She also said about a membership with CVS but I haven’t searched about it. I hope you enjoy your writing and have Fun​:art::fountain_pen::open_book::smiley:

Today I’ll ink KWZ-Grapefruit to my Sailor progear slim Zoom nib and try for first time Endless Recorder Notebook A5 dotted. This pen performs better with medium wet inks; very picky pen. I once inked it w/Akkerman Karmedjzin (an ink that works perfectly) but this pen didn’t like the flow&wetness. Then I tried a sample of Diamine-Carnival and worked great. Today let’s see how it works.

1 Like

Thank you!

And yes, John’s blog post also mentioned to make sure to buy the notebooks that say “made in Vietnam” on the back cover. I bought six!! :wink:

2 Likes

Hello all I’m new to the ‘community’ having just started using fpc a few months ago. However, I listen to the podcast for a while now and love it! Thanks for the awesome website @danielb these long threads would be great if the newest was at the top. But hey I’ll take whatever!

Today I am using:
TWISBI Rose Gold/White Stub with Krishna Black Rose.
BENU Briolette, Luminous Amber M with the include cartridge that I just happen to love and is Diamine Oxford Blue.
Montblanc 145? M with MB James Purdey Single Malt which I adore.

2 Likes

Hi @BrooklynBeka,

It’s great to have you here!

Upvote on your decreased sort by post time idea :slight_smile:

What’s your opinion about Krishna Black Rose? How does it behave in a fountain pen? How wet is it? Is it hard to clean?

Take care with that intoxicating James Purdey & Sons and don’t inhale too much from it :wink: (Great ink!)

1 Like

@MW90 Monica sorry for the late reply, I’ve been very busy lately and haven’t had much time for my pen hobby.

Your photos are great, don’t worry too much about the light. Keep it fun and casual for yourself.

Thanks for recommending Black n’ Red. I’ve just realised that it’s made by Oxford with which I already have good experience. I haven’t used Oxford much because the brick & mortar stores and webshops I use do not have a big variety of Oxford stationery. It seems that Black n’ Red is cheaper than my usual go-to Rhodias or Leuchtturms. Though I started bookbinding as a hobby, the next time I don’t feel like crafting a notebook I may try a Black n’ Red instead :slight_smile:

I’ve recently bought a new blue ink, it’s Caran d’Ache Chromatics Hypnotic Turquoise. The bottle is nice and practical and has a real metal cap. The ink is very saturated, vivid. Two cons: it’s expensive and it feathers… Have you ever tried Akkerman #1 Passage Blauw? It’s a nice shading medium blue. It’s not turquoise, more like Iroshizuku Kon Peki. That’s what I’m using currently. Fun ink and nice colour.

I’ve heard other people saying nice things about Monty Winnfield nibs. Maybe you find someone at a local pen club or at a pen show who has one of those speciality nibs so that you can try. I haven’t tried any of those unfortunately, but I once had the chance to try a lot of the Sailor speciality nibs. I was seriously thinking about buying a Naginata Togi medium fine but even the NTMF is just too thick for me. Usually I use european fine or extra fine nibs. Do you have any particular Monty Winnfield nibs in mind?

@petrisz I rather liked Black Rose in fact the more I wrote with it the more I liked it. I would say it’s a bit dry, but writes well in a stub. I have Jungle Volcano as well and both seemed to crust a bit and require priming frequently in my ECO stub.
It does get a bit thick between the nib and feed but a few minutes in flush cleared it right up. The barrel flushed clean with water.
MB JP & S pairs well with my Scotch!

2 Likes

Sorry, I think this can’t be changed, this is how the forum engine works.
But if you select a topic it always jumps to the latest post.

I only have MB Purdey Cigar it’s a nice color, I considered Single Malt, but the smell was a bit much for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations on making your own notebook! Hope you share! Which Oxford notbks work for fp inks? Many models. Caliber Composition by CVS (pharmacy) works very good, very cheap but only one size and lined. I have sample of Israel’s Blauw ink and love it! Currently I’ve Pelikan M800 M inked w/Sailor Manyo Yomogi on Kokuyo Paper.

2 Likes

@BrooklynBeka JP & S Single Malt seems to me like a sherry cask influenced whiskey :slight_smile: What kind of scotch do you prefer? Highlands? Islands? Peated? Bourbon cask?

@danielb This ink does have a strong smell but of course it goes away quite soon on the paper. It seems to me that over time the ink in the bottle smells less intense as well.

Bummer about the way the threads work. Oh well!

@danielb and @petrisz I do love the smell, but it does fade quickly. However, if the smell of scotch is unappealing (much like cigars for me) then I can understand why some wouldn’t care for it.
It’s a beautiful shader. I will struggle to put anything else in that pen, it just seems to suit it so well.

As for Scotch I’m partial to Islays. But we enjoy somewhat of a interesting range. Hamilton’s Islay is quite reasonable for how nice it is (at least here it is). On the higher end a recent love is Bruichlladich Port Charlotte, heavily peated is quite lovely. There’s also Lagavulin but we don’t have it around often.

Suntory Toki is also a regular in our house. An unexpected love is of all things a Kirkland (Costco) branded 12 yr scotch, reasonable and quite good. A US one we didn’t expect to enjoy is Buffalo Trace Kentucky bourbon whiskey.

Off topic but perhaps you can relate?

The big event today is that after so many years into this hobby I managed to empty the first bottle of ink. I’ve had this Akkerman Passage Blauw since 2016. Provided that I have 70 bottles more ink I’m good for the next few hundred years including sending some spooky postcards from the afterlife. Once I pick up some writing skills from Vergilius I’ll be still having enough ink to write my mémoire in Limbo.

2 Likes

I came across something truly shocking.

Source

The quote itself is taken from a Business Insider article.
The study itself can be found here on PNAS.

The inks are
  • bottle: Pelikan Edelstein Moonstone
  • ink pool / dune fill: SBRE Brown
  • sandworm contour: J. Herbin Terra de Feu
  • sandworm fill: Diamine Orange
  • dune yellow: KWZ Eldorado
  • foreground dark dune: Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz
  • background light dunes: Akkerman Dutch Masters Hals Oud Bruin
  • text: Pilot Parallel Yellow cartridge
The pens are
  • drawing: Ranga Dip Pen + Intermonde 14k nib
  • dune solid fill: Q-tip